Sunday, June 2, 2013

Year #2


Well, we say this every time.  I wish we could say it will never happen again, but it probably will be 3 months until our next blog, too : )

We’re a few months into year part 2 here in Changwon. I’ve traveled to and from America for a sweet, much needed reunion and we’ve both left our jobs together at Poly and started new jobs at different schools. Things have changed a lot for us since leaving Poly, and although we really miss our kids, we have so much more time to invest. And, we have been able to maintain a lot of the relationships with some of our kids. Just today we met sweet little Sunny and Binnie for a date at the local TGI Fridays (they insisted on treating Traylor to an overpriced, expensive steak). It was a fun reunion with my precious kiddos and their moms.  Both Traylor and I are so grateful that these relationships have stuck.

Our new jobs: Both Traylor and I are still teaching, but at separate schools. Traylor teaches a class to adults at Changwon University, which has been a great experience for him! These older Korean ladies love to spoil him with treats and kimchi. He also teaches at several after school programs at a few local public schools. Coming from Poly (very privileged, rich kids) it is quite different for him to be teaching lower level students, but he really appreciates these kids since they may not have the opportunities to learn English as quickly as other kids. I teach at an English school that does more like private tutoring, so I only teach one to two students at a time. The fun thing is that some of my Poly kids have ventured over to my new school and I have been able to continue teaching them, or at least seeing them pretty regularly.  Work, however, has still been a struggle for me this year. I can absolutely see God’s hand in leading me to this new job, and know without a shadow of a doubt that I am supposed to teach there, but there are some things about teaching in Korea that are extremely difficult. Cultural differences that can only be understood if you are a teacher here. There are days when I feel like I cannot do this again for another year and it’s difficult to find joy in my work. I’ve poured my heart out to the Lord and asked him to change my circumstances, but I have been learning that changing my circumstances might not be what I need right now.  He knows what I need to grow, and this may be another year of intense growth. And, he has called me to be a light in my school, just as we were called to be at Poly.

An anchor for my soul has been Exodus 33:14 “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” Korea still tends to be a struggle, but man, when the joy comes during times of rest, it is so sweet. Another truth I cling to here: “My Grace is sufficient for you for my Power is made perfect in weakness…” 2 Corinthians 12:9

Here are some things that have “sweetened” our lives here in year #2. Before we started this second year, both Traylor and I really wanted to dive more into Korean culture/friendships since we wouldn’t be at school all day like last year. Since coming back from American in April, these relationships almost fell in our lap. I’ve developed some really neat Korean friends, which has been such a blessing. Some of them have been to America and understand our love for Mexican food, so it’s been fun to have people in our home and realize that both Korean and Americans crave some good ol’ burritos and tacos. Traylor as well has developed relationships with some guys here. He has also taken on more leadership roles within our church, which has naturally opened up relationships with the Koreans who help with the service. Another blessing!


One relationship in particular has served as a reminder for us in why we are truly here in Korea. We’ve known this family for a year or so now, after meeting our student Catherine’s dad at Poly last year. Their family has invited us on countless outings with their family (I think we’ve posted pictures of them in previous blogs) and we’ve become really good friends. He mentioned a month or so ago that he’d made a promise to God 4 years ago that if God would heal his brother of cancer, he would go to church regularly. He said God answered his prayer, but he never kept his end of the deal and asked if he could join us one Sunday. He and his daughter ended up coming soon after that, and the message that Sunday couldn’t have displayed the Gospel more clearly. I think the sermon was called, “Who is God?” or something like that. Pretty awesome. He’s come twice since then, and we would welcome your prayers as we walk through the truth of the gospel with him and his family!

If you like to read our blog, remind me please to update it. I won’t be offended J I need reminders.

Here’s some goodies from our recent trip to Seoul for Buddha’s Birthday and other random things! 

Beautiful Spring Flowers in Changwon
Lanterns for Buddha's Birthday


Seoul with my sweet
Gyeongbokgung 경복궁 Palace - Seoul


Guards at Gyeongbokgung



No comments:

Post a Comment